Sucker Punch Productions is an American video game company founded in 1997 and is based in Bellevue, Washington. They created Rocket: Robot on Wheels, the Sly Cooper series, and the inFAMOUS series. They have worked exclusively with Sony since 2000.
The company was founded in 1997 and according to the company's website, it "started at the roots of Microsoft, where the co-founders all worked in a variety of productivity and software development applications. All shared a love for video games, yet only one had game development experience." The group decided to leave Microsoft in 1997 and became an independent company. The company name came as one of several proposed by the company that they would not have been able to use at Microsoft due to that company's policies. Co-founder Chris Zimmerman showed the list to his wife for her opinion, and she responded that she didn't care "as long as it isn't Sucker Punch." Considering the opinion of a middle-aged woman would be completely contrary to the demographics of their target audience, they selected that name for the company.
Rocket: Robot on WheelsEdit
In 1999, Sucker Punch released their first game, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, for the Nintendo 64, a platformer featuring a robot named Rocket.
After signing a new deal with Sony in 2000, the company created Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus in 2002. After the success of the game, the company developed two sequels: Sly 2: Band of Thieves in 2004, and Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves in 2005.
A few months after releasing Sly 3, Sucker Punch started preparing ideas to the new game. They went to Sony with several different game ideas and Sony decided to start the development of inFAMOUS. In 2009 and 2011, inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2 were released, respectively. A few years later, they released inFAMOUS: Second Son in 2014 for the PlayStation 4 console.
|Game title||NA release date||Platform|
|Rocket: Robot on Wheels||October 31, 1999||Nintendo 64|
|Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus||September 23, 2002||PlayStation 2|
|Sly 2: Band of Thieves||September 14, 2004||PlayStation 2|
|Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves||September 26, 2005||PlayStation 2|
|inFAMOUS||May 26, 2009||PlayStation 3|
|inFAMOUS 2||June 7, 2011||PlayStation 3|
|inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood||October 25, 2011||PlayStation 3|
|inFAMOUS: Second Son||March 21, 2014||PlayStation 4|
|inFAMOUS: First Light||August 26, 2014||PlayStation 4|
- Sucker Punch's headquarters takes an entire floor of a skyscraper.
- There have been some appearances of the Sucker Punch name or logo throughout the Sly Cooper series.
- In Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, the newspaper shown after every episode is called the Sucker Punch Daily.
- In Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, a Sucker Punch sign appears in the Mesa City level "At the Dog Track."
- In Sly 2, upon smashing Rajan's desk in his office, papers with the words "Sucker Punch" written on them fly out.
- One common characteristic of the Rocket and Sly Cooper series is that they both feature a raccoon playing a major role.
- In Thieves in Time, Murray says to "Wildman" Wheezer, "Nobody sucker punches The Murray!".