This article's title is a conjecture. No canon name is known for the subject of this article. If you would like to change the title, please discuss it on the article's talk page.
Sly Cooper's Father
The Secret Vault
Before the birth of his son, Sly's father traveled the world with Jim McSweeny and Dr. M, the former of which he was very close friends with, conducting heists and robberies as well as showing amateur thieves how "things were done." He once spoke to McSweeny of a secret vault, believed to hold all of the Cooper family's collected treasures. One heist in particular, where Sly's father stole the world's largest diamond, made him (and likely his gang) legendary.
After Sly was born, things became tense, so he and his gang decided to bring their operations to a halt for a time. With all the tension, Sly's father felt his son's legacy would not be safe unless it was completely hidden — even from himself.
When Sly was three years old, his father and McSweeny traveled to a museum in Italy. There, he hid the map to the Cooper Vault. He felt that when the time was right, Sly's legacy would finally be revealed to him.
Some time later, Sly's father made his own journey to the Cooper Vault, and added his own knowledge and wealth to his ancestors', one of which was a technique developed by him that allowed one to walk and slide across lasers.
Sly Cooper's father was alongside his son as he grew up, often telling him of his lineage and how he was to follow in their footsteps. He also told him of the Thievius Raccoonus, which he was to inherit at age eight.
On the night Sly's father was to bequeath the Cooper legacy to his son, five mysterious visitors invaded his home. He fought, but ultimately failed to protect his son and wife from the Fiendish Five, and was killed. The Fiendish Five then killed his wife and stole the Thievius Raccoonus. The Fiendish Five then divided the Thievius Raccoonus into separate pages.
Sly was the only one left alive from the attack on his home. He was placed in the local orphanage, where he met his future partners in crime, Bentley and Murray. Together they formed the Cooper Gang, mirroring his father's trio of himself, McSweeny, and Dr. M. Ten years later, Sly avenged his parents' deaths by defeating each member of the Fiendish Five and killing their leader, Clockwerk.
Sly's father was a thief of many talents and was apparently very physically able, being able to battle Muggshot with his cane alone, something even Murray couldn't have achieved. He also developed a technique for sliding on lasers that he didn't write inside the Thievius Raccoonus, a move that Sly later learned during his venture through the Cooper Vault.
Several of his other talents were also shown in the objects he left in the Cooper Vault.
- By his cane pedestal was a microscope, implying that he was gifted in the field of science.
- A computer he left in the vault showed, "Hello World..." on its screen, implying that he was gifted in computer programming.
For how clever Sly's father was, it seems he was only mechanically gifted, as Sly once mentioned that his father wasn't a big fan of grammar or English.
- His face is never shown in the first three games; all that is ever seen is a portrait of him with Sly sitting on his lap with the top part of the portrait hidden or missing. A cutscene near the end of Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time shows Sly's father, but because of the stylization, nothing can be determined about his appearance, other than he resembles Sly.
- He seemed to be in a sort of competition with the Le Paradox Clan of thieves. Le Paradox's father, whose given name is also not mentioned, had planned to steal the world's largest diamond and frame Sly's father, but the latter got there first, leading to the former's arrest (as well as Le Paradox's hatred for the Cooper Clan in general).
- Sly's father's real name was never mentioned. There was a magazine by Disney that referred to him as "Connor" but this is non-canonical and considered a fan-name.