Sleep darts are a form of gadgetry utilized by Bentley in the Sly Cooper series, starting with Sly 2: Band of Thieves, that allow him to knockout guards with ease by placing them in a sleep-like trance.
Sleep darts can be used by opening the Binocucom (click ), then using to fire a dart. If a guard is hit, they can be taken out with a single bomb with . Careful aim is suggested when shooting the darts; a dart that travels close enough to guards will draw their attention and cause them to run to the exact position you fired the dart from.
Sly 2: Band of ThievesEdit
In Sly 2: Band of Thieves, Bentley uses a crossbow to fire a sleep dart.
At various points in the story, Bentley's sleep darts are modified or utilized to a different effect:
- For the "Leading Rajan" mission in The Predator Awakes, Bentley equipped each of his sleep darts with a sonic disruptor, which drew the attention of Rajan and guards, provided they were within earshot. Bentley used them here to lure Rajan to the Indian watermelons around the area in order to steal his blueprints.
- During the "Eavesdrop on Contessa" mission in Jailbreak, Bentley realized that the feathers on his sleep darts vibrated at a particular frequency near sounds. He used this knowledge to fire the sleep darts at The Contessa in order to listen in on what she was mumbling about, allowing Bentley to find out the location of Sly and Murray during their time in her rehabilitation prison.
Sly 3: Honor Among ThievesEdit
As with Sly 2, there are various times where the darts are modified or utilized to a different effect:
- During the "Operation: Moon Crash" mission in Rumble Down Under, Bentley attempted to use these to sedate Inspector Carmelita Fox when she was possessed by the Mask of Dark Earth. Unfortunately, that only made the situation worse by causing Carmelita to grow even larger.
- For the "Giant Wolf Massacre" mission in Flight of Fancy, Bentley added skunk balm to the tranquilizers so that the Lupus Gigantormus in the area can be affected by the darts.
- During the "King of Fire" mission in A Cold Alliance, Bentley used them to light the fireworks on pinwheels, in order to reach the Panda King.
Sly Cooper: Thieves in TimeEdit
In Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, sleep darts are not available from the beginning of the game, and the default darts are instead explosive darts. However, you can later purchase the Sleep Ammo power-up from ThiefNet, which will give you access to sleep darts and what Sly 2 and Sly 3 refer to as snooze bombs. In order to switch to using sleep darts, you must then select the Sleep Ammo by holding and using to highlight the Sleep Ammo before releasing . The sleep darts here are used in much the same way as they are in previous games, though since there are many more varieties of darts, their importance in completing missions is diminished.
- In Thieves in Time, the effect of the currently equipped dart is also the effect of the currently equipped bomb. So, after using a sleep dart, the ammo type must be changed from Sleep Ammo to Explosive Ammo in order to blow up a sleeping guard in the same way you could in Sly 2 and Sly 3.
- Almost every case where Bentley's usage of the sleep darts was modified or utiilized to a different effect was due to the target displaying an immunity to the standard tranquilizer in his darts. Rajan and the Lupus Gigantormus are outright stated to be immune, the Contessa would have to be immune given the circumstances, and the Mask of Dark Earth-influenced Carmelita only saw the sleep darts as an annoyance.