The safe house, also known as the hideout, is the base of operations for the Cooper Gang. In Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, the safe house (called the hideout), is an abandoned train car. From Sly 2: Band of Thieves on, the safe house changes depending on the current episode's location. There is a table and three seats for Bentley, Sly and Murray. A laptop next to Bentley gives the gang access ThiefNet, where they can buy power-ups and sell loot or treasures. There are also various items around the safe house, often including some form of speaker to relay audio from the villain of the area, depending on where the Cooper Gang is. For example, while in Venice, there is a pizza box on the table.
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
In Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, the safe house, known as the Hideout, can be accessed through the pause menu, the map or entering the Cooper Van whenever applicable. The Van takes you to the gang's abandoned train cart hideout in Paris.
The Hideout gives you the options of:
- Bentley - From here you can watch unlocked cutscenes
- Tide of Terror
- Sunset Snake Eyes
- Vicious Voodoo
- Fire in the Sky
- The Cold Heart of Hate
- Murray- In the North American version of the game, you can flick ahead to the hideout position of the next episode (but not play the episode) and Murray stands there, doing something comical, like eating snacks or listening to music. Pressing makes him do a different animation, such as offering the player a peanut. After unlocking Episode 5, he will stand next to Bentley and read a book.
Sly 2: Band of Thieves and Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
In the safe house, all three playable characters (except in Jailbreak of Sly 2) are seen sitting around a table. Selecting one of the characters and then pressing will allow you to play as them in the field. Going left from Bentley will have him access ThiefNet, a service for purchasing power-ups, and, in Sly 2, selling loot and treasures.
In Sly 3, an the individual character icons will float above each characters head to show who has a mission to complete.
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
In Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, the safe house is again called hideout. The big, yellow "S" is now replaced with a yellow house after pinging a waypoint while in the field. Each hideout is also given a name.
Besides each playable character, the hideout also includes other features, accessible by pressing and .
- The Treasure Wall- After a treasure is brought back to the Hideout, it can be viewed here. It also gives you a description of the item.
- Costume Gallery- After a Costume is obtained, it can be viewed here.
- The Van- The Van allows you to travel to previous time periods and replay jobs from the current time period.
- Arcade Room- Here there is an arcade machine that can only be accessed once all treasures from that period have been found and a ping pong table. There is one arcade machine per episode. Each of the six arcade machines has a more challenging version of each of the three hacking mini-games from the game, an idea that was expanded upon in Bentley's Hackpack. The ping-pong table is also playable, with Sly going up against Bentley. The mini-game can be played against the AI, or with another player.
Safe house descriptions
- Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
- Police Headquarters (Paris): The Cooper Van in Paris.
- Tide of Terror (Welsh Triangle): The Cooper Van in Welsh Triangle.
- Sunset Snake Eyes (Mesa City): The Cooper Van in Mesa City.
- Vicious Voodoo (Haitian Jungle): The Cooper Van in Haiti.
- Fire in the Sky (China): The Cooper Van in China.
- The Cold Heart of Hate (Russian Mountain): The Cooper Van in the Krack-Karov Volcano.
- Sly 2: Band of Thieves
- A Shadow from the Past (Cairo, Egypt): The Cooper Van in Cairo.
- The Black Chateau (Paris): In the Cooper Gang's house with a view over Dimitri's nightclub.
- A Starry Eyed Encounter (India): In a cave in the mountain with a view over Rajan's royal palace.
- The Predator Awakes (Indian Jungle): In a small room made inside the mouth of a huge stone tiger's head with a view over Rajan's Spice Temple.
- Jailbreak (Prague): In an old, broken down house with a view over The Contessa's prison walls.
- A Tangled Web (Prague again): In an old, Gothic house with a view over the Contessa's castle estate.
- He Who Tames the Iron Horse (Canadian Wilderness/Station): In an old house on the docks with a view over Jean Bison's coast train station.
- Menace from the North, Eh? (Canada/Canadian Camp): In a cabin with a view over Jean Bison's logging camp.
- Anatomy for Disaster (In the Sky Between Canada & Paris): In the battery charger on Arpeggio's Blimp.
- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
- An Opera of Fear (Venice): In an old Italian house with a view over Octavio's Venice turf.
- Rumble Down Under (Australian Outback/Australia): In a large house on a cliff with a view over the mining camp.
- Flight of Fancy (Holland): In a hotel room for ACES pilots with a view over the town and farms.
- A Cold Alliance (China again): In a small Chinese house with view over Tsao's temple grounds.
- Dead Men Tell No Tales (Blood Bath Bay and the ship): When you are in Blood Bath Day it's in a lighthouse-like house with no view since the windows are boarded up. When you're at sea, it is below deck on your ship with a view over the sea.
- Honor Among Thieves (Kaine Island): The Pirate Ship from episode 5 at Kaine Island.
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- Turning Japanese (Feudal Japan): In a big, old Japanese house called "The Hidden Shuriken" with leaves covering the entrance, the prison is up ahead from the hideout entrance.
- Go West Young Raccoon (Wild West): Inside a large clock tower, behind the clock itself (you can see gears). Named "The Hootenanny Clock Tower."
- Clan of the Cave Raccoon (Prehestoric Tundra): Up a trail on the western part of the Hub, the hideout is a Hut-like house made out of stone with a grass-like roof, just outside is a sign reading: "Gunga." Named "Iced Campsite."
- Of Mice and Mechs (Medieval England): The entrance is in a large tree on top of the hideout, called "The Major Oak."
- Forty Thieves (Ancient Arabia): In a lower cave near the beach shore. Called "Sneaky Snake Hideout."
- Paris Epilogue: In the gang's old hideout from Sly 2.
- Inside the safehouses from Sly 2 and Sly 3, there are some windows with a view of important structures, but in Thieves in Time there isn't.
- In Sly 2, Murray can not be selected to play as in the Episode 4 Safehouse. Similarly in Sly 3, Murray can not be selected to play in the Episode 1 Safehouse until after Octavio has been defeated.
- The last episode in Sly 3 does not have a Hub or a Safe House.
- The pirate-ship safe house in Episode 5 of Sly 3 is the only safehouse that can't be returned to after completing the level.
- In Thieves in Time, Bentley's ThiefNet computer is of the Shell Brand. This logo is a parody of the "Dell" brand of computers.
- Similar to the first game, in Thieves in Time, a new object will be added around the safehouse for every mission completed.
- In Sly 2, there are some safehouses that can be accessed and roamed, because of a glitch. They are Paris, Rajan's Palace and the Lumberjack Camp.