|Besides being a thief, Otto van Cooper was a great fighter ace.|
— Sly Cooper[src]
Otto van Cooper is an ancestor of Sly's who was a genius mechanic and skilled fighter pilot. Due to his physical ineptitude, he used his talents to pull off heists, his machines facilitating his thievery. He kept some of his technical blueprints in the Thievius Raccoonus. The propeller blades of his biplane were shaped like the trademark Cooper hook. His section of the Thievius Raccoonus was stolen by the Fiendish Five's demolitions expert, the Panda King.
In addition to his thieving reputation, the commentary Sly Cooper makes in the Cooper Vault at the end of the third game mentions that he was a fighter ace, most likely during World War I, and (given his name) likely for Germany. His trademark plane can be seen hung up in the cooper vault. Otto's section of the vault showcases his mechanic skills as he rigged propellers to test the intruders reaction time, something that Otto was known for, being a fighter pilot.
In Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly utilizes Otto van Cooper's designs to make two modifications to the team van - a battering ram in the front, and a gun that can replace the satellite at the top of the van. The gun was most likely an automatic firearm, though ammunition was limitless. The gun was used to clear the route to Clockwerk's fortress/death ray of mines and to destroy all of the robotic birds that swarmed the van. The gun was later destroyed because of a low ceiling which the gun smashed into. The battering ram was used to defeat lava monsters that were attempting to disintegrate computers that were falling from the ceiling in the next level, computers that Bentley needed to open the passage further into the fortress. Without Otto van Cooper's designs, Sly may never have defeated Clockwerk.
- He was likely named after Otto Lilienthal, the first person to make well-documented, repeated, successful gliding flights.
- Otto was presumably Dutch, because his full name is "Otto van Cooper", and "van" is a Dutch preposition.
- Otto is the only Cooper that does not have a handheld Cane stored in the vault, so it is unknown what his cane looked like. But he had one as he needed something to get in the vault with.
- Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
- Fire in the Sky (cutscene)
- Fully restored Thievius Raccoonus cutscene
- Sly 2: Band of Thieves
- A Shadow from the Past (cutscene)
- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- Prologue (cutscene)
|Objects, locations and terms|