|Now, just lay back and relax. Go to your happy place... and stay there... forever.|
— The Contessa to Carmelita in the re-education tower[src]
The Contessa is a black widow and a secondary antagonist in Sly 2: Band of Thieves. She was a famous, wealthy warden working for INTERPOL that was secretly a member of the Klaww Gang. She was the main antagonist of Jailbreak and A Tangled Web of Sly 2.
She was voiced by Gloria Manon.
While a student majoring in criminal psychology, she fell in love and married a wealthy aristocrat. Nevertheless, only a few weeks after the ceremony, her beloved died of poisoning. Using her knowledge of criminal thinking and her newly inherited estate, she opened a rehabilitation clinic for criminals. The Contessa supposedly used hypnosis to cure criminals of their illegal urges and gained a prominent position within INTERPOL.
Sly 2: Band of ThievesEdit
The Contessa first appeared in Episode 2 at Rajan's ball, accompanying Inspector Carmelita Fox and Constable Neyla undercover. She later appeared with them at Rajan's spice temple where she placed Sly, Murray, and Carmelita under arrest (after Neyla betrayed all three of them). Following her to Prague, Bentley bugged her with his sleep darts, which he had discovered would transmit the sound of her voice after making contact, resulting in her unwittingly revealing Sly's location in her prison. Later on, the two discovered that Murray was being held hostage by the Contessa who was working on controlling his mind with her hypnosis. Murray discovered her to be a secret member of the Klaww Gang, hypnotizing criminals to learn the location of their loot. She was also using illegal spice to help with the hypnosis and contributed hypnosis light wave generators to Arpeggio's blimp.
After failing to hypnotize Murray, the Contessa fled from her clinic and escaped to her castle estate, where she held possession of the Clockwerk Eyes and had Carmelita bound to an Iron Tech 250 in her re-education tower, where she tortured her and attempted to brainwash her with the eyes.
Whilst the gang headed there to get the eyes back, a war broke out between the Contessa and Constable Neyla, in which both had their own respective armies at their disposal. The Contessa's immediate plan, (one Sly and his friends would not allow) was to brainwash Carmelita with a mind shuffler into becoming her personal slave, so that she would take the fall for her at INTERPOL. However, Sly, Bentley, and Murray stopped her plans and Sly defeated her in combat.
Apparently, the Contessa knew all about Sly's family line and even taunted him into fighting. Even after losing once and playing the innocent routine, she still declared herself mentally superior to Sly's gang. However, after fighting and defeating her for a second time, it is clear that Sly, Murray, and Bentley are a much tougher match. The Contessa is then arrested and stripped of her title.
She is mentioned by Arpeggio later on in the game when he reveals his master plan to Sly, speaking of her skills in hypnosis aiding the plan to hypnotize Paris. During the credits of Sly 2, it is said that after her incarceration, the Contessa became a highly successful real estate broker, with her clients displaying eerie hypnosis-like symptoms.
The Contessa is a spider, possibly a Black Widow spider due to the recurring theme of an hourglass symbol associated with her character. She has the upper body of a human woman where the spider head should be and has claws instead of hands. She wears a red dress and also has a pocket on the back on her abdomen. It was assumed Contessa was Italian in origin, given her name means Countess in Italian, but further research showed she is of Czech origin, given the thickness of her voice and locations in which she chooses to live.
|Coward! You're a disgrace to Interpol. I'll make it my life's work to destroy you!|
— Carmelita to the Contessa during A Tangled Web[src]
Aside from Arpeggio, The Contessa was the most malevolent Klaww Gang member, firmly believing in "humanity's" baser, primitive instincts, and that good & evil were insipid, emotional illusions. Selfish, fearful and sadistic, Contessa cared solely about her own desires and believed it foolish that anyone should do any different. She had no quarrels about her corruption or ruining the lives of others for her own gain, be it minor or massive. This included poisoning her husband to gain his wealth.
Contessa was very driven and intelligent and had a history of high education, probably in criminal psychology or criminology. Though less intelligent than Bentley, she could at least challenge and knew certain things that rattled him. Also quite overweening, Contessa coerced treasure locations from criminals via hypnosis simply out of greed. As a warden, she was intimidating and psychologically abusive, especially to Murray. For all her pride, Contessa was only confident if her adversaries were restrained or incarcerated. Once the Cooper Gang and Carmelita were free, Contessa chose to flee. Though fleeing from the former could be due to her knowing she was no match for them. She was, however, moderately respectful of Sly's physicality and will.
Additionally, even after Contessa's release from prison, she hypnotized her real estate customers to ensure her sales, indicating her presumably indefinite lack of morals & ethics.
The Contessa is highly intelligent and manipulative, able to trick INTERPOL into sending her criminals who she then steals from. She is also an accomplished hypnotist, able to hypnotize criminals into revealing where they hid their treasure. She is able to spawn spiders that can explode or attack her enemies. Her hypnosis is also increased by the Clockwerk Eyes, although strong minds like Sly and Carmelita are able to resist her. She is also skilled enough in fighting to temporarily hold her own against Sly, before being defeated.
|Wolves||Rooftop guard||Mace||Episodes 4 and 5. Occasionally spawn from statues.|
|Bats||Rooftop guard||Fists||Episodes 4 and 5. Can call other guards.|
|Vultures||Flashlight guard||Crossbow||Episodes 4 and 5.|
|Shadow Guard||Flashlight guard||Crossbow||Episodes 5. Elite variant of the vultures.|
|Episodes 4 and 5. Invincible.|
- Sly 2: Band of Thieves
- The Adventures of Sly Cooper Issue 2 (cameo)
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- 40 Thieves (mentioned)
- Bentley's Hackpack (mentioned during loading screens)
- Contessa means countess in Italian.
- The Contessa's estate, along with Jean Bison's logging camp and Mz. Ruby's swamp, is one of the paintings in Octavio's coffee houses in Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves.
- The Contessa shares some similarities with Mz. Ruby: they are both cold-blooded animals, their levels have obviously mystic vibes to them, and they are both the only females in their gangs.
- The Contessa is the only arthropodic boss in the series.
- Although the Contessa is a [black] widow spider, she only has six legs instead of eight. Her arms might count as her legs as well.
- Across the bridge at the Contessa's rehabilitation center, a projector projects an hourglass, the symbol of a black widow.
- The Contessa was originally planned to make a cameo in a cut-scene for Thieves in Time. At the end of the game where Bentley tells the players where all the character are now, Carmelita was shown beating up and arresting a criminal. The artist for the game said that he originally planned The Contessa to be the one Carmelita arresting but that didn't work out for various reasons. One of the artist on Deviant Art confirmed this on the artwork for the particular scene.
- It is highly likely that the Contessa poisoned her husband in order to obtain his fortune:
- It fits in with the Contessa's animal theme, as the female widow spider is known for eating her mate after laying eggs.
- There are some paintings/photos of her husband in her castle in A Tangled Web, suggesting she misses him or at least feels that her "success" is partly credited to him.
- She is mentioned by Bentley in Thieves in Time.
|Sly 2: Band of Thieves|
|Terms and gameplay|
|List of Power-ups · List of Jobs · List of Loot|